Friday, September 11, 2009

Time in a bottle

I know, there has been much focus on this bloggity of current (or not so) entertainment. A while ago, we told you about our favorite books. Dove loves The Time Traveler's Wife. I decided to try it out and to be honest, it was hard for me to get into. I found myself skimming over words to get the jest of it and because I was impatient to see what happened next. I know I must have missed a lot, but I wasn't enraptured. But I did like it well enough. And of course, I had to find out what happened.

Last night, I went to see the movie. I realize that it had to fit LOTS of stuff into it, but I felt like it left out A LOT of good emotion and meaning. I guess if I had never read the book I would have been fine, but without his father's neighbor or his crazy ex, her crazy mother and her relationship with her family, because of this omissions a lot of warmth and heart-tugging emotion was gone. I did like the casted actor for his father, but you didn't get to see how Henry and his father's relationship evolved because of this relationship with Claire. I am also glad they left out a lot of the Gomez/Claire stuff - that just never sat well with me, poor Gomez. I do like Rachel McAdams and her portrayal of Claire, I do like Eric Bana. And of course, I still cried. A lot.

So what did you think? Hit or miss? What else have you seen lately?

5 comments:

leandparkermakes3 said...

Didn't love the book, didn't love the movie. I agree, I like the actors, but it left me feeling a little disappointed. I saw "All About Steve" which was also a big disappointment. I really want to see "Adam." I think it looks good.

Meghan said...

just finished the book and wasn't wowed. but now reading this, i already thinki won't love the movie. how could they leave out kimi? she was my favorite...

Amanda said...

I wasn't crazy for the book myself, though I actually liked the movie fine. Eric Bana was nice anesthetic for when the plot was weak. And don't we all wish we looked like Rachel McAdams from behind when she got up from the bed, naked? I swear, had that movie been on TiVo I would've paused and paid umbrage.

dove said...

Really? How can I love the book so much and you all think it lackluster? And I'm pretty picky. Didn't anyone else love it? I loved the movie too. It was certainly lacking much of the books plot and I expected it to be marginal at best, but I really enjoyed it. And cried a lot too. And hello eye candy! Rachie McA & Bana were hotter than firecrackers. Seriously who (male or female) doesn't have a crush on Rach after The Notebook?

I liked Adam too. A little lacking in plot but an enjoyable & artistic feel good with good muzac.

Amy and Chad Larson Family said...

I loved the book too, Rach. Really loved it. And because of that I hadn't planned on seeing the movie. But with your endorsement I'm tempted...