Monday, February 16, 2009

Confessions of a non-texter


I don't text. If you know me at all, you know this. One reason is we aren't on a texting plan at my house and it has kind of turned into a contest with my husband and the rest of the world. The other reason is that I am not that good at it, my thumbs may be a bit too old-school for such a new-fangled invention. Maybe not true, I do rule at Nintendo and you have to have super healthy thumb joints for that...

At dinner the other night my friend asked which one of us were texters. A little more than half of us just texted their reply under the table. I do see the reasons for it, just quick reminders to the hubby to pick up diapers, not having to have a ring interrupt his intense work schedule. Babysitters. This is the only time I really ever text. I don't think you can book your teenage sitter without texting.

So, beneficial? Yes. But what about the detriments? I know a guy who fights with his girlfriend through texting. Where is the passion in that? Voices, people, exude emotions - playfulness, sarcasm, sincerity, bashfulness. You can't get that with texting, even using stupid emoticons! ;) doesn't cut it! I've even heard of married couples, sitting right next to each other or in different rooms of the house that are texting each other. And what about those that text someone else while you are deep in conversation with them? Or even just a normal conversation. To me it is the equivalent to turning on the T.V., watching it and and just nodding your head, pretending like the person sitting next to you with her mouth moving is saying something important. And then, at night, when you are out driving and you see someone driving a little erratically and when you drive by their face is lit up with the warm glow of their cell phone, thumbs texting away - duh. And don't even get me started on those that don't know how to write out a full word from the English language!!!

I sound a little rantful, don't I? Not my intention. Maybe one day, when we have texting capabilities without it costing $5 a text, I will join the rest of the world in the constant information highway that is texting. But until then, this is my perspective. And my message - Text Responsibly. Maybe I should make a button. I would, if I knew how. Maybe a bumper sticker? Maybe nothing, since I know I am in the super minority here. And maybe one day, I will understand text shorthand - it is a bit hard for me to decipher.


The other day, I texted the man of the house a sweet little text, since texting is a little forbidden it made it so sexy, right? He texted me back using text shorthand!!! How is he using text shorthand when we don't text?! Is he having a textual relationship that I am unaware of? "Honey, I did NOT have tex with that woman..."

-mavis

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda want to make fun of you for being such a Flintstone, but I don't watch TV....

Leslie said...

I totally laughed out loud over your last line. That was so clever. I'm not much of a texter either...it has to do with my relic of a cell phone, maybe if I had a Blackberry of something of the sort it would be a different story. But there's a problem in that, too, as my husband swears I am never allowed to own one. He knows me too well, and knows it would take over my life (now is when you should feel a *guilty* pang, Dove...).

Amanda said...

"Textual relationship"! Ha! That's classic, but probably eerily true. I had to a get a Blackberry when my phone plan was up for renewal and it was cheap because I can't text on buttons when numbers are involved. And predictive text? Are you kidding me? What is this, year 2045?

we chirp said...

I've got to give credit to Dove for the last line, it was all brilliantly her. But kind of maybe a problem? I'm sure if I were a texter, it would become a problem, addiction more like. So maybe it is good my husband has made me wary.
~mavis

Christy said...

I'm not a texter either, and I only recently learned that my husband is! He doesn't use shorthand though - he has predictive text. And he only texts with his students - that's the best way to communicate with them outside the lab where they work.

paula said...

HILARIOUS....love the last line!

p.s. I'm not a texter either.