Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The thing about love...


images

Since we are approaching Valentine's Day, let's start a discourse on love. Here's the thing about that word...it is extremely limiting and cannot always express what we want it to. One of the many downfalls of the English language is that we only have one word for such a broad range of feelings. The Greeks have at least six. No wonder they tore up the world civilization scene so well.

The word love can be confusing because it can be interpreted in so many ways. I mean, I love my kids and I love my parents and I have loved a man or two, but it is quite a different kind of love that I feel for each. The same word can express strong affection or strong attraction. Have you ever experienced the frustration of how limiting this word can be? Have you ever wished you could tell someone you love them but were afraid they would interpret it incorrectly? I hate that.

Is it...

Eros?

Philia?

Agape?

Storge?

Thelema?

Xenia?

Get it straight. And I hope you find yourself in a cocoon of eros this Valentine's season.

the-kiss-rodin-museum-paris-giclee-print-c12882327jpeg1


And here's the fine print. I LOVE both of these works of art. They are some of my favorite visual portrayals of eros. The Rodin sculture above is worth the trip to Paris to observe. To see it in person evokes almost as much passion as those cute lovers are displaying. Ohhh I love it. And the Klimt above as well.

by dove

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my neighbor, but not the way I love my dog. Good post.

Anonymous said...

define my form of love for you, dove. which one is it?

Anonymous said...

Two great works of art!