Sunday, March 1, 2009

Do Withouters


It has been 5 days without my Diet Coke. If you are wondering why, go here. I have to admit, the thought of it still has me salivating but I am doing better than I thought I would be. The first couple of days had me feeling a little like the picture above - deflated but with children inevitably jumping on me and using me for their plaything. But yesterday, I even made it through the McDonald's playland without a Diet Coke. Water. Just Water. Yay for clear, tasteless, refreshing, non-carbonated, bland water.

I'm not giving up Diet Coke because of the caffeine. I'm doing it because I have read numerous places that the aspartame in it has been linked to memory loss. And I have lost my memory. Or my mind. Both.

I will admit that three young kids may do that to you. The youngest has been a doozy, not a good sleeper. So couple hectic days with not a lot of sleep and hormonal fluctuation and memory loss is probably a given. But when I go out with my girlfriends and they are telling stories about me to me and I have no recollection? Not good. Because the stories are fun ones, it would have been fun to be there. Oh wait, I was.

So, I am testing to see if indeed my memory starts to recalibrate and re-emerge at the end of the 46 days. I hope I remember that is the reason I am doing this.

How is your do withouting (either by cutting out or adding more) going? I want status updates. And remember, you can fall off the wagon and jump back on, even with a different thing. And you can join in now, don't be shy.
~mavis
p.s. did you look at the giveaway? I'm having some serious issues with all of Ruby Sue's stuff. And by stuff, I mean those bright, airy, dreamy adornments, the ones I salivate while looking at and pretty much want to set up a shrine to. The salivating may be due to DC withdrawals, but the rest...

4 comments:

Christy said...

Mavis I'm so glad to hear that you're doing okay, all things considered. I am going to have to read up on that aspertame/memory loss information too!

I am also happy to report that doing without sweets has been MUCH easier than I thought it would be. I thought I would be silently crying inside every time I saw a pack Cadbury mini eggs or a KitKat bar at the grocery store check out...but I'm not. It's like there is some kind of switch (must eat sweets) inside my brain that I didn't even know was there before five days ago. I switched it to 'off' and I haven't so much as thought of faltering. So strange. Had I known it would be this painless I might have done this long ago. I love the feeling of power I have!

But the one thing I am finding very hard is how freaking tired I am. I think I'm in a sugar withdrawal. Help! Suggestions? Are the others of you doing without sweets experiencing this completely exhausting fatigue too? I laid down for 'ten minutes' earlier today and the next thing I know TWO HOURS had passed and my wonderful husband had kept our daughter occupied the entire time. I want my energy back! I'm eating more fruits, taking my vitamins, and can't drink more caffeine b/c I'm nursing our baby. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

we chirp said...

I'm surprised also at how easy this has been. I have attempted this numerous times, but for some reason having "Lent" attached to it makes it easier. I'm loving it (ba da ba ba ba).

Dove

suzan said...

I guess I'll come clean... I had a coke on Saturday... But I'm still in and have been doing much better since!!!

Anonymous said...

O.k., so I had a massive headache without the Diet Coke for about three days. I am doing a lot better now. I hope I wont have to go back to it!